Friday, October 22, 2010

What's Your Mood?

 
Go out to a busy Starbucks, a shopping mall, or sporting event and sit back and watch people.  You will see all types.  It's very interesting.  If you go to the same place for several days in a row, you will probably see repeat patrons.  You are probably more likely to find regular clientele at a small coffee shop or cafe than at a sporting event or shopping mall.

What are the modes of those people?  Are they consistent?  Are they different from one day to the next?  Some people enter the door with a smile each morning.  Others drag in.  Their hair is a mess and it appears that they are  carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders.  Then, there are those people totally in their own world.  They don't communicate with anyone.  They have their iPhone and headsets on, just talking, or listening to their music.  They don't respond to anyone. 

What I have observed in the Starbucks that I frequent is that people are the same day after day.  They are either always in a good mood, or always in the "woe is me" mode.  I think some people just want attention.  If you are a loyal customer of a small establishment, other regulars are, and have been, watching you.  They have their preconceived ideas about you.  How do they see you?  Do you care?  If you want to have a relationship, whether business or personal, you should care. 

I actually sat down for more than an hour with one of the other regulars the other day.  To start off the conversation, he asked me, "How are things going?"  I said, "I'm doing great!"  He said, "You are always doing great!"  It just resonated with me, that he has been listening to the small talk and watching me.  I'm glad that it was a postive impression that he had.  I have my bad days just like anyone else, but I work at not displaying it.

I have been playing basketball with the same guys for a couple of years now.  Some of them have asked, "What's going on?  Is everything okay?"  when I was in a bad mood.  Then, I had to try and snap out of it.

How do you want others to see you?  Do you care what opinion they have of you?  If you do, then I would suggest that you enter with a smile on your face and greet the people that you contact.  Add something to their day, regardless of how down-trodden they may be!

Have a great weekend!

No comments: